To apply for this type of visa you need to submit the following documents in original (unless stated otherwise):
- Filled in and signed application form. Please ensure that a high quality printout of the barcode is submitted with the application.
- Two recent biometric passport photos (not older than six months), one glued to the application forms and one attached with a paper clip.
- Passport, issued within the last 10 years, valid for at least one more year from the intended date of entry into Germany and with at least two empty pages (original and one copy of the data page and of the page which shows the signature of the passport holder)
- Maltese residence card, valid for at least three more months (original and one copy).
- Certificate of marriage (original and one copy) if you wish to join your spouse.
- Birth certificate of your child (original and one copy) if you wish to join your child.
- If spouse/child is already resident in Germany: confirmation of spouse’s/child's registration (Anmeldebestätigung or Meldebescheinigung) and spouse’s/child's German residence permit or German passport (original and one copy).
- Proof of knowledge of basic German language (original and one copy). Proves issued by any institution testing in accordance with the standards of the Association of Language Testers in Europe (ALTE) are accepted. The test may not be older than one year. Applicants may be waived from the language proficieny requirement, for example if the spouse holds a German residence permit pursuant to sections 18a or 18b of the German Residence Act (Aufenthaltsgesetz).
- Proof of health insurance valid up to the date when joining the German family health insurance plan (original and one copy).
- Visa fee is 75,- EUR to be paid either in cash (exact change please) or by credit card (Visa or Master Card).
Certificates issued in a country outside the EU must be accompanied by an apostille/a legalisation. Original documents will be returned once the visa application has been processed.